Outcomes-based Teaching and Learning (OBTL)
What is OBTL?
Outcomes-based education is an educational theory that bases each part of an educational system around goals (outcomes). By the end of the educational experience each student should have achieved the goal (William Spady, 1994) Outcomes-based Teaching and Learning (OBTL) is a student-centered education approach where the programme’s intended learning outcomes are explicitly defined for students to achieve. Teaching and learning activities are then carefully designed to facilitate students to achieve these outcomes. The success of OBTL is based on evidences from the assessment results and student learning experience. Periodic reviews of these evidences will lead to continuous improvement of programme quality.
The Outcomes-based Teaching and Learning approach focuses on:
- The articulation of HSUHK’s “Liberal + Professional” Education Model and the desired graduate attributes;
- The alignment of the desired graduate attributes, programme intended learning outcomes and module intended learning outcomes;
- The development of teaching and learning activities in enhancing student learning experiences;
- The design of assessment processes to monitor students’ learning progress and the achievement of the desired outcomes and attributes; and
- The collection of stakeholders’ feedback for continuous improvement.
More about OBTL
Methodologies and Practices
- Policy on Submission and Approval of Module Assessment Results and Grade Review
- Guidelines on Assessment
John Biggs and Catherine Tang, Teaching for Quality Learning at University, Forth Edition, Society for Research into Higher Education and Open University Press, 2011
Outcomes-based Education- The Pathway Leading to YOUR Learning Success
(We would express our special thanks to Professor Lilian Kwan, the Associate Vice President of Beijing Normal University-Hong Kong Baptist University United International College, to provide the professional and invaluable input to write up this OBTL page)
- Outcomes-based Education
- Outcomes-based Education vs. Outcomes-based Teaching and Learning
- Implementation of OBE in the delivery of the formal curricula and extra- /co-curricula
- As students, how can you maximize YOUR learning in an OBE environment?
- Can I adopt an outcomes-based approach for my career planning and personal growth?